Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 3 - March 23rd, 2015

The WSF begins tomorrow, on the 24th!

As it happens, serious rain is expected.  I don't think it will deter anyone from the march, which is sure to be as colorful with participation from global allies!   As a show of peace, the march will lead to the Bardo Museum, the site of the shootings just a few days ago!

Figured today is my one and only day to see parts of Tunis (other than my hotel room or the university) so I took part of the day to visit Medina - the historic city within a city that has the Grand Mosque.  The "Medina of Tunis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and contains some 700 monuments, including palaces, mosques, mausoleums, madrasas and fountains."  The streets are narrow and confusing, leading to hundreds of small shops selling a variety of items.  Walking through it is a dizzying exercise and I could not do it for long.  To get a sense of the souks (shops) and the items, plus the Grand Mosque, see photos here. 

This posting from The Guardian today is worth a read:

World Social Forum can inspire activists to unite against the global power grab.

After a couple of meetings following my trip to Media, I'm too beat to do more writing. I know a big day - indeed a long week - awaits me and will get my reset when/where I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment